Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 2.9 General Questions
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post 2.9 General Questions
on: March 18, 2017, 22:37

I thought I would start a thread for basic, general questions anybody might have.

I'll begin. Sometimes there is a dash right after a number, such as on p. 21, 2.2.13 Luck, where it says “All characters start with a 10- Luck save…”

It seems that is intentional. Is there a reason for the dash in this instance?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: 2.9 General Questions
on: March 19, 2017, 08:51

The dash is shorthand for "or less". So the sentence reads as: "All characters start with a 10 or less Luck save (representing an 'average' amount of luck), for free."

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 19, 2017, 16:30

Awesome. Thanks, bk! I wonder if it might be a good idea to signal that, early in the rules.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

wistling
Superhero
on: March 20, 2017, 08:01

Cybernetics: does the Gear (-5) limitation apply to both abilities, or both simultaneously? It looks like a Standard Cybernetics power would get either two powers at 10 (20 pts) and Gear (-5 as a package on both powers) =15 points total, or Gear on each separately, which would be 10 points total. Either way it seems to be off-target for CPs?

For Low Power, it would be 5 CPs per ability (10 pts) and Gear package (-5) on both = 5 pts total, or Gear on each separately, which would come out to 2 points (since 5-5=0 but 1 is the minimum CP cost).

And how do you simulate the old Robotic Body or Android Body powers?

Thanks!

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 20, 2017, 10:04

After going over the description of Cybernetics it looks like the (-5) Gear modifier is only applied once.

Low Ability #1 = 5 CPs + Low Ability #2 = 5 CPs - Gear mod = 5 total CPs.

Standard Ability #1 = 10 CPs + Standard Ability #2 = 10 CPs - Gear mod = 15 total CPs.

High Ability #1 = 15 CPs + High Ability #2 = 15 CPs - Gear mod = 25 total CPs.

Robotic Body or Android Body are not simulated in Mighty Protectors. You'll have to build your robot or android using various abilities and weaknesses as you see fit. However, War Heroes does have a version of Robotic Body as an "optional ability".

wistling
Superhero
on: March 20, 2017, 11:02

Thanks. I wonder if it means the following instead?

Standard:
Take one skill so that when you add in everything (and you must include Gear at -5), the point total is 10.
Take a second skill the same way so that the final point total is 10.

Then that would meet character generation guidelines where Standard is 20 points total?

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 20, 2017, 11:07

Quote from wistling on March 20, 2017, 11:02
Thanks. I wonder if it means the following instead?

Standard:
Take one skill so that when you add in everything (and you must include Gear at -5), the point total is 10.
Take a second skill the same way so that the final point total is 10.

Then that would meet character generation guidelines where Standard is 20 points total?

That was actually my first thought since it would then conform to the random character generation rules, but Jeff may have to clear this up when he gets a chance.

Paragon
Superhero
on: March 21, 2017, 08:25

I'd have thought they should be applied separately, myself.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 21, 2017, 14:41

Looking at one of Jeff's convention characters it seems that the way Cybernetics works is that the Gear modifier is applied separately vs. each ability. Also note that if the gear has more than one ability, then the Multi-Function Gear mod (-2.5) would apply.

Standard-Level Cybernetics Example #1
Ability 1) Heightened Strength: +15 (15), Gear: Cybernetic Arm (-5); Total Cost = 10 CPs
Ability 2) Speed: 64/256, 87 mph (15), Gear: Cybernetic Legs (-5); Total Cost = 10 CPs

Standard-Level Cybernetics Example #2:
Ability 1) Heightened Senses: Acute Vision +3 (5), Global (+10), Multi-Function Gear: Cybernetic Eye (-2.5); Total Cost = 13 CPs
Ability 2) Heightened Expertise: +2 to hit (10), Multi-Function Gear: Cybernetic Eye (-2.5); Total Cost = 8 CPs

Paragon
Superhero
on: March 21, 2017, 18:05

Huh. I've really got to go though the mods more carefully. I could have applied that to Paragon's staff, too, since its a melee weapon and a ranged weapon in one.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.153 seconds.