Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Communication
Paragon
High-Powered Superhero
Post Communication
on: March 15, 2017, 21:22

Is it just me, or do some of the basic forms of this seem kind of pricey, especially in a day and age where everyone in the developed world has a cell phone? I realize that building the latter is rather cheap, and I can see some argument for a reasonable price for some more secure and useful forms (telepathic links, say) but the basic case seems a bit underwhelming for what it costs (not to mention odd that the people doing the semi-random roll will end up using up a slot with it).

Same thing applies to some extent to some other low-powered Gear (mundane weapons) but it really stands out here.

Jeff
Administrator
Post Re: Communication
on: March 16, 2017, 10:44

What do you mean by 'the basic case'? The base price for a pair of communicators is only 5 CPs.

Yes, if you roll randomly you may wind up 'using a slot' (a slot that would've been devoted to some other non-combat ability, if not communicators). But as with 'mundane weapons', or any other low-priced ability, any CPs you don't use in that slot (for example, 15 leftover CPs if a standard power level character takes the 5 point basic communicators) get to be re-assigned elsewhere.

So, I'm not quite sure what the concern is?

-Jeff

Paragon
High-Powered Superhero
on: March 16, 2017, 11:41

Well, I'm contrasting it with other things you can do with even 5 points. For a simple example, that's another 3 points of Armor against Kinetic damage you could have (assuming you're not already maxed out in Armor or Force Field anyway) or another 5 points of an attribute. It just seems that's a bad trade-off for something that, honestly, the vast majority of characters should probably have these days, and can get the equivalent at any Target. I realize this sort of thing is a fine needle to have to thread, though.

Jeff
Administrator
on: March 16, 2017, 12:05

Sure. I think you may also be over-estimating the practical value of 3 points of Kinetic protection (considering that it's useless against the other 4 damage types), or 5 points in a BC (which gets you, at best, some combination of +1 to a save, half a point more damage you can roll with, +1 base HTH damage, and +1 initiative).

I mean, anybody who just wants to build a killing machine isn't going to take all sorts of things, including a communicator. But having one wouldn't seriously disadvantage anyone who's building to a concept, and that was the goal. Jack's low-powered PC 'Gangbuster' has a police band radio in his motorcycle, and has never regretted it 🙂

-Jeff

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.118 seconds.