Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Disintergrate Ray
Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
Post Disintergrate Ray
on: March 15, 2017, 18:01

Seems like Disintegrate Ray is underpriced or overvalued. It does the same damage as things like Flame Blast per cost, but bypasses all the common defenses, and can't be rolled with. Its got a shorter range, but that doesn't seem that much of a trade-off given how fast anyone with a movement power can cover ground.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Disintergrate Ray
on: March 15, 2017, 18:18

Disintegration Ray CAN be rolled with, but I think you're right: it's still too good for the points. If you modify Power Blast so it acts like Disintegration Ray, you get: 2d8 damage (15), ST range (-2.5), PR=2 (-2.5), Different Damage Type: Other (+10) = 20 CPs.

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 15, 2017, 18:23

Sorry, I probably conflated it a bit with either Death Touch or Devitalization Ray which I read at the same time. But as you say, the special defense alone seems like a pretty impressive freebie, and that's not even counting and its similar ability to bypass structural rating on objects.

Jeff
Administrator
on: March 16, 2017, 02:39

It's actually not as big of an advantage as it seems. Most characters don't have much in the way of damage protection in the first place, so Disintegration's advantage on that score is intermittent. And Disintegration doesn't do Knockback, which is a big limitation, and one which Brian forgot to take into account. Neither has Disintegration shown itself to be over-powered in playtesting. It's just a different sort of blast, with different special effects.

-Jeff

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 16, 2017, 09:42

Yeah, that's my bad. With the No Knockback mod it comes out right. 😉

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 16, 2017, 10:45

Can I ask why you guys consider no-knockback such a big deal? My observation has been that its one of those things that's often as much of a disadvantage as an advantage in superhero games, since it can make it harder for melee oriented characters to reach the opponent someone just knocked back (this is talking generically, of course, not specifically in regard to the mechanics of V&V). Its a question I was going to ask in regard to another power, but its just as easy to ask here.

(And I acknowledge the superiority of playtesting over theory here, but its easy for playtesting groups to develop their own internal quirks that mask problems. In particular, if the playtesting groups tended not to invest in armor and force fields, I'm not sure that's how that's liable to play out in the wild).

Jeff
Administrator
on: March 16, 2017, 10:51

Well, for a start, V&V isn't City of Heroes, where knockback really was a problem for one's melee-oriented teammates. That's just never been an issue, even in Revised/2.1 V&V, so 'generically' is not terribly relevant. Also, look closely at the new knockback rules. They're significantly less forgiving to the knockback-ee, in terms of damage taken on collision with something.

-Jeff

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 16, 2017, 11:29

I can see how the V&V expansive movement would make that less of an issue than it is in some games, certainly. And if you've found secondary damage from knockback is significant, you have (that would explain the question I had about sharp versus blunt attacks, too).

Jeff
Administrator
on: March 16, 2017, 11:54

Oh and also, if you get knocked back there's a good chance you'll be prone as well. Which results in combat penalties, until you get back up again. It all adds up 🙂

-Jeff

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.103 seconds.