Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Basic Characteristic Caps
Paragon
Superhero
Post Basic Characteristic Caps
on: March 13, 2017, 20:31

I just realized I've been making an assumption that might or might not be correct.

Is the cap on BC before or after any Heightened Characteristic is added in? I'd been assuming after (that is to say that the total of a regular basic characteristic and the ability that adds to it can't, at Standard Hero exceed 40) but on looking at it it might be a bit ambiguous.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Basic Characteristic Caps
on: March 13, 2017, 21:05

The caps are simply a maximum pegged to the overall points in the character. As the character gains experience, the cap increases. A beginning Standard level hero with 150 total CPs has a cap of 40 on Stats, 30 on Abilities and 15 in average damage. The caps apply whether or not the player randomly rolls his character, "edits" his character by shifting points around, or simply creates it whole cloth.

For example: You roll a standard level hero and get a 14 ST, 18 EN, 16 AG, 12 IN, 10 CL in stats. You then either randomly roll Heightened Strength +20 or just pick it, getting a modified 34 ST. You could also have 10 CPs of Density Increase which would add +6 ST, and when it is activated he would have a total of 40 Strength, which is the cap for a character with 150 CPs. Or, instead of Density Increase, you could have 10 CPs of Size Change A) Larger, which would also add +6 ST (and also +6 EN).

Once you've played your character for a while and gotten say 15 xp, for a total of 165 CPs, your cap raises to 43 for Stats, 33 in Abilities, and 16 damage. Your hero could then have a 43 Strength by spending xp on his Strength stat or increasing another ability that gives Strength.

Paragon
Superhero
on: March 13, 2017, 22:35

I understood that; what I wasn't sure of was whether that cap counted Heightened Charactteristics or not.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 13, 2017, 22:57

Yep, it counts Heightened Characteristics.

wylie
Street-Level Hero
on: March 14, 2017, 13:52

Think I'm misunderstanding the caps
Using power blast, is the standard cap 30 CP as ability or 15 CP as damage?

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 14, 2017, 14:39

Quote from wylie on March 14, 2017, 13:52
Think I'm misunderstanding the caps
Using power blast, is the standard cap 30 CP as ability or 15 CP as damage?

It's both, but the damage cap is not in CPs, it's the average damage of an Ability, rounded down.

For example, your 30 CP cap on Power Blast does 2d8+d10 damage, or 14.5 on average, rounded down to 14. So you could have 30 CPs in Power Blast and still add 1 point of damage, from say Heightened Attack +1, to make your total average damage equal to 15 -- and still be within the damage cap for a 150 CP character.

Another example is a character with a 21 ST who does d10+1 damage when punching. For 20 CPs of Natural Weaponry (well below the 30 CP Ability cap for starting standard level character), he could add +10 Sharp kinetic damage, doing a total of d10+11 damage with an average of 16.5, rounded down to 16 -- which would be over the damage cap. To be legal and at the damage cap, he would have to spend 17.5 CPs on Natural Weaponry adding +9 Sharp kinetic damage, doing d10+10 damage, or 15.5 which rounds down to 15.

wylie
Street-Level Hero
on: March 14, 2017, 15:25

Getting a clue now
I think
Just tracking all that math I may get mixed up some
Made a few characters. I see I need to go back and tweak
Thanks

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 14, 2017, 16:22

Sorry, I probably over-complicated what should be fairly straight-forward process regarding Damage Caps.

In short: figure out the average damage of your attack, round down, and compare it to the cap. If the damage is equal to or less than the cap, you're fine; if it's over the cap your attack does too much damage and must be reduced.

Paragon
Superhero
on: March 15, 2017, 18:10

I'm assuming if cost adders push the cost of an offensive power up to a point where it runs into the cost cap, you use that instead? That is to say, in essence, you use the lower of the two?

Jeff
Administrator
on: March 16, 2017, 02:29

Both the CP cost and the average damage must fall within their respective caps.

-Jeff

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.138 seconds.