Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cold War alt-history V&V game, need some ideas for THEM!
xhaosdaemo-
n
Superhero
Post Cold War alt-history V&V game, need some ideas for THEM!
on: August 26, 2016, 15:07

So the group has been fighting Soviets, Soviets, Soviets.....I want to give them something new. One player suggested something on US soil as a result of the atomic testing. That made me think of the movie THEM! so I am looking for some ideas for stats on car-size insects (ants, tarantulas, scorpions). I may even give the group an insect controller using them to exact revenge on the US military. Very interested to see what people come up with...

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Cold War alt-history V&V game, need some ideas for THEM!
on: August 26, 2016, 15:29

The magazine adventure "The Mad Scientist" (written by Jack Herman) has stats for giant ants, I think. Actually, the characters get shrunk down to tiny size, so the ants just seem giant. But it works out the same, I believe.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: August 26, 2016, 19:16

Try this:

View post on imgur.com

Tempest
Cosmic Superhero
on: August 26, 2016, 22:21

Like the idea, xhaosdaemon; this could go places! I think bkadams' nicely appended Giant Ant sheet above should be very applicable; only things I'd be wondering about is whether Insect Controller dude would be applying said control through mental command of one form or another, through mechanical/artificial means, and what the range of said control might be; could it also turn out that lead, the colour yellow, or something along those lines, can block this control? Also, just to throw this in, what if it turns out that the Insect Overlord intends to take over the world, conquer if you will - uncertain whether he intends his army to consume the human population or merely enslave them in his underground sugar-caves - but those under his control do not, and simply want to establish peaceful ecological balance with the bipedal types.

Be very interesting to know how this turns out; please update us with the results of this take on things.

xhaosdaemo-
n
Superhero
on: August 26, 2016, 22:57

It is a great write-up but I think it might be a bit too powerful for what I was thinking. Maybe I need to drop them down to human-size that way I can use a bunch of them at a time. The hit points of those other than the strongest pair don't even add up to that hit point value. It does give me something to work with however.

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
on: August 27, 2016, 11:40

My high school friends and I actually played V&V during the (end of) the Cold War, and a few of the most effective Soviet/Communist-related plots we explored were, from memory:

1. An "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"-type plot where teachers, parents, police, girlfriends (et al) were being 'replaced' by body-swapping aliens in a plot to take over the Earth, an obvious allegory for Communist subversion. In our game, this was combined with a simultaneous, overt alien arrival modeled on the then-popular "V" TV miniseries.

2. Cosmonauts Trapped In Space. Back in the mid-1980s there was speculation that the Soviet space program had covered up the grizzly deaths of numerous cosmonauts whose missions had failed in one way or another. Some of you reading this may remember that there was a guy who was, I think, either Italian or German, who had recorded some radio transmissions that he claimed recorded these surreptitious deaths. In our game, our PCs went to rescue a pair of cosmonauts whose spacecraft was hurdling uncontrollably out of the Earth orbit and into space, only to be confronted by Russian heroes sent separately to save them, who were then initially ordered to kill our PCs to keep the accident quiet.

3. Rescue the Bactrian Gold Horde in Afghanistan. While 'The Soviet Vietnam' rages in Afghanistan, our PCs were sent to locate and 'save' (i.e. remove to the Smithsonian) the Bactrain Horde, the location of which at the time we played in the mid-1980s was unknown (at least as far as we knew then).

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.144 seconds.