Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 >> Last
Author Topic: Awesome GoFundMe Thread
Jeff
Administrator
Post Awesome GoFundMe Thread
on: October 12, 2015, 10:54

Hey, everybody!

I'm sure by now you're all aware that Jack and I have started a GoFundMe campaign to raise money to pay for a lawyer to defend our right to call our game Villains & Vigilantes by its name. We've already won back the publishing rights, and we managed to do that out of pocket, but this trademark suit is happening in Arizona where we've never been able to find legal representation that we could afford.

The fundraiser is going great, and rather than clog up the main news stream with updates I'm starting this thread. If you have any questions bout anything related to this, please feel free to ask!

-Jeff

Jeff
Administrator
Post Re: Awesome GoFundMe Thread
on: October 12, 2015, 10:55

We passed two milestones over the weekend: 100 donations, and $6k! Thanks, everyone. We're keeping our lawyer paid, and we couldn't have done it without you. The next big incremental goal is $10k, which we need to reach within the next two weeks. Thanks, everyone, for your tremendous ongoing support!

https://www.gofundme.com/monkeyhousegames

-Jeff

Tempest
Cosmic Superhero
on: October 12, 2015, 14:54

Already put in $25 - I only fricking wish I could have contributed more. Please keep us updated with regard to both financial and legal progress; I have no doubt that the Arizona court will continue on with what the Appeals court ruled and that all IPs will soon be back in your and Jack's hands.

By the way, the podcast was very informative and provided some much-appreciated timeline clarification with regard to how things developed and/or were resolved. Looking forward to seeing the V&V logo on the continuing 2.1 stuff, and on 3.0 and beyond.

Jeff
Administrator
on: October 12, 2015, 15:20

Thanks, Tempest! We're looking at a court date in late April, and since the donations are just keeping pace with our legal expenses we expect the GoFundMe will run pretty much that entire time. So, you haven't missed your chance to kick in some more if you'd like over the next 7 months 🙂

We're also confident that the court will uphold our rights. Thanks again for all your support!

-Jeff

IndieComic-
sFan
Cosmic Superhero
on: October 13, 2015, 10:45

Crap...I did not notice this thread until just now and it may be a few weeks before I can afford to drop any cash on such things (if I had known I would not have purchased that Matt Wagner original Grendel #2 for $50 last week and those Bettie Page portfolios...*sigh*).

HOLY CRAP AGAIN! Norm Breyfogle donated $100 to your cause?! For those who do not recall Breyfogle was a GREAT comic book artist, most famous for his run on Batman/Detective Comics in the 1990s.

Tempest
Cosmic Superhero
on: October 13, 2015, 12:19

Further to the above, I also noticed that Jack Emmert, late of City of Heroes, threw in fiduciary support and made open proclamation that V&V was a serious influence on the MMPOG's design. It's at times like this that the "silent majority" becomes not so silent and makes clear and unambiguous declaration as to where their affections lie. I admit, there may be no actual noise coming from those posts accompanying the donations...so yeah, maybe it is still a silent majority, but still, we're making our intentions clear and putting ownership of properties back with the people who actually fricking created them.

It may be a while yet, but we'll be patient...and with the news that the GoFundMe campaign will be ongoing (rather than a month or so in length, which I had originally presumed), that opens the door for later contributions, which will be made.

One final point: I do fully expect that the acknowledgements in the 3.0 rulebook will be in a point-size equivalent to the dollar value that each person contributed. Hm...my name in 50-point type...not too bad...

Jeff
Administrator
on: October 13, 2015, 13:38

Thanks, guys. Yeah, we've gotten a *lot* of support from comics artists and writers as well as fellow games industry folks. These people take creators' rights extremely seriously! Check out some of these other names who've donated or posted about our GoFundMe or both:

Chuck Dixon (Punisher, Conan, Batman, GI Joe, Evangeline, Winterworld)
Erik Larsen (Doom Patrol, Spiderman, Savage Dragon)
Neil Vokes (Superman, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
Peter Gillis (Defenders, Doctor Strange, Micronauts, Strikeforce: Mortituri)
Roger McKenzie (Daredevil, Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella, Captain America)

Not to mention, a bunch of the original V&V adventure writers and artists. They know who they are 😉

We're getting a ton of that kind of support, but we're still trying to get noticed in a major way by the media, which would be extremely helpful for raising the kind of money we need. That, plus as much word of mouth as folks like you can spread!

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: October 13, 2015, 16:03

I've asked over on rpg.net if I can post in their general forum, or promote it in their Crowd-Funding Thread. I figure either one will draw a lot of eyeballs of folks in the industry.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Jeff
Administrator
on: October 13, 2015, 18:57

Thanks, Majestic! That would be excellent.

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: October 15, 2015, 15:58

It's been two days and they haven't answered me yet, so I might just jump in and do it anyway.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 >> Last
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.147 seconds.