Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Vehicles
wistling
High-Powered Superhero
Post Re: Vehicles
on: May 9, 2017, 11:26

Some thoughts about large Vehicles creation:

1) It's easier to do your preferred layout first and figure out approximate number of system spaces you need. Likely, if you can afford the points, go one level higher than your expectations. Don't worry too much about the powers ahead of time.

2) Corridors and empty space seem to always take up more system space than expected. I had to shrink the top level since it was pushing at my system space limit.

3) Open system spaces are best for low-level powers, since the 1/4 multiplier really hurts. If you want high level powers, they are better without being open systems. Same with integral systems and their 1/2 multiplier.

4) Excel (setting column width to 1, row height to 9) makes a good graph paper. Then you can set cell borders as needed.

StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 30, 2018, 17:58

I'm working on a bunch of spacecraft, ranging from a dumb little shuttle (like a flying SUV) to a survey spaceship.

I'm wondering about how to handle sensors. Heightened Senses, but the range is so short for how your perceive these being used in science fiction!

Would it be reasonable to allow a big range multiplier for use in deep space?

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 31, 2018, 09:54

Just as the Communicators Ability has the "Sub-Space" modifier, where miles become light years, I would add a similar modifier to Heightened Senses and possibly limit it to only working in space. For example:

Extended Range
(2.5) 1" becomes 1 mile, only in space
(5) 1" becomes 10 miles, only in space
(7.5) 1" becomes 100 miles, only in space
(10) 1" becomes 1000 miles, only in space
(+2.5) multiply by 10

StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 1, 2018, 16:00

Makes sense. That's a good way to handle it!

I might start out at 2.5 CP = 100 miles range, though; a basic sensor capable of "scanning" a ship from low earth orbit.

StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 4, 2018, 15:33

Came up with my first vehicle, a deliberately rock-bottom simple spacecraft. This is the spaceship equivalent of the spartan van that takes you from the airport terminal and the car rental lot. Only it has an airlock and privy because trips from a space station or orbiting starship to a planet's surface takes longer than the trip to the rental lot.

The "works" are embedded in a lifting body. A wedge shape with stubby wings.

The radar is for landing purposes only, the equivalent of a rear view camera and proximity alarm.

I'm not even sure if the subspace communicator is necessary, but the Flitter could be used as a lifeboat on a yacht, or even an interplanetary shuttle. (Warp 5 means it can tool around a planetary system, although you'll want a base to refuel and top off the LSS at each stop.)

Let's see if this works . . .
Imageflitter by Stefan Jones, on Flickr

StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 4, 2018, 16:58

(Continued . . . man, this site is really picky about message length!)

(Click on the word "flitter" to see the full size image on Flickr)

My next project is a Lander, which is essentially the same cabin, but in a larger hull with a sensor array, and some armor and perhaps a force field. It is an explorer's vessel, used by military and planetary survey organizations.

I'm looking at the vehicles that you'all have posted here, to determine why choices were made, especially with regards to Heightened Senses (sensors) and communicators.

StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 4, 2018, 21:15

Hey . . . here's a spaceship question. Could you treat space suits included with a vehicle as little sub-vehicles? That airlock could be a hangar . . . but it might be a challenge to make a 1 system space suit. (Life support, communicator, maybe EVA thrusters for slow zero-G-only Flight . . .)

StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 5, 2018, 13:31

I'd like to suggest a new Communications mod, only for subspace communicators:

PulseNav - Displays the current interstellar coordinates, based on subspace signature of pulsars - 5 CP

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 6, 2018, 08:56

Quote from StefanJ on April 4, 2018, 21:15
Hey . . . here's a spaceship question. Could you treat space suits included with a vehicle as little sub-vehicles? That airlock could be a hangar . . . but it might be a challenge to make a 1 system space suit. (Life support, communicator, maybe EVA thrusters for slow zero-G-only Flight . . .)

It would be system space intensive to make sub-vehicles to be used as space suits. Instead, I would just use Adaptation with various modifiers to make space suits. In the example below each suit is only 5 CPs. With default settings, that's 1 system space per space suit.

Adaptation: Asphyxiation (5), Low Pressure (5), Low Temperatures (5), Radiation (5), Gear (-5), Time Requirement: 2 Rounds (-10), 3 Charges (-15), Duration: 1 Hour (+15); Total Cost = 5 CPs.

StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 6, 2018, 13:31

@BKAdams: Cool, thanks!

I've been putting full Life Support systems into the ships I've been designing. I'm wondering if Adaptation would be a reasonable alternative

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.425 seconds.