Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Vehicles
wistling
High-Powered Superhero
Post Re: Vehicles
on: March 19, 2017, 09:43

So here's my first go at using the new rules to create a vehicle, the Lunar Crab (Mark I). It's a bit more difficult for me to figure out a few things, and I'll indicate where I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. I used the Hex Map Pro app to create the floorplan. It took a while but I think trying a moderately complicated vehicle gave me a better idea of how the system works.

i) High Tech modifier: this made some of the calculations a bit difficult - it seemed like a free +5 CP to each system but system space and profile are smaller. I hope I had the interaction between High Tech with the Integral System right. (Do you halve first and add High Tech +5 CP, or is it added THEN divided)?

ii) While trying to adjust Range (for the Flame Blast targeted at the driver), Flame Blast has ST+EN range that I was trying to stage down to 1". The way the rules are written, I assume (ST+EN)x1" is the same as BCx1". Is that correct?

iii) I'll update the Tunneling and Escape Velocity Flight specialization modules soon, after I hear back about the former. The Escape Velocity Flight doesn't seem necessary given bkadams' response on the other thread.

iv) For Life Support and Communicators built into the vehicle, I took the modifiers Not Gear (-5). Is that correct for vehicle system versions of those?

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 19, 2017, 10:57

i) High Tech modifier: this made some of the calculations a bit difficult - it seemed like a free +5 CP to each system but system space and profile are smaller. I hope I had the interaction between High Tech with the Integral System right. (Do you halve first and add High Tech +5 CP, or is it added THEN divided)?

Add the Hi-Tech bonus (or subtract a Lo-Tech modifier) then divide.

ii) While trying to adjust Range (for the Flame Blast targeted at the driver), Flame Blast has ST+EN range that I was trying to stage down to 1". The way the rules are written, I assume (ST+EN)x1" is the same as BCx1". Is that correct?

I've always treated ST+EN as BCx2 for purposes of the Range modifier.

iv) For Life Support and Communicators built into the vehicle, I took the modifiers Not Gear (-5). Is that correct for vehicle system versions of those?

This is a tricky question... one which Jeff may have to answer. My opinion is that you would not give them the Not Gear modifier but would instead make them Integral, which is how Vehicles handle Abilities that cannot be attacked or damaged.

BTW, cool vehicle!

wistling
High-Powered Superhero
on: March 24, 2017, 19:25

Thanks! Here's my second try, using artwork and stats to convert to 3.0. It was tricky getting the snug-fit subvehicle designed, and time-consuming, but satisfying once you get the hang of the system. My tip for doing something from a sketch is to figure out the floorplan first, then worry about how many points for each system you need. It narrows down how many CPs you should sink into the vehicle to get the right number of system spaces.

Here is the original art and design specs:

Here is the conversion. The range doesn't quite match the system (you can go a lot farther because of lower PR costs), but the PR requirement will allow multiple stops.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 24, 2017, 21:21

I haven't really delved into vehicles at all yet, but your doing this makes it look really fun! I'm really liking the concept of the way vehicles (and bases) are built.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 26, 2017, 13:30

Good to see others working on examples & chewing over the Vehicle rules!

wistling
High-Powered Superhero
on: March 26, 2017, 19:28

Yes, it's fun once you get a hang of it! Here are some motorcycles for super-powered gangs in my setting.

IHIMAERA INDUSTRIES MOTORCYCLES

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 27, 2017, 08:36

Wistling, the implementation of the vehicle rules and the presentation of your vehicles is very nicely done. I do have a few comments, though.

For the Helijet, you've got 16 system spaces allocated for Flight B on its floorplan, but only use 8 of them.
The gliding of the 'ejectable cockpit' -- which, by the way, is very cool -- has 10 points in in Flight but could actually have up to 30.
With 8 system spaces allocated, the integral Armor should be 2/1/1/2 (8 sys spaces = 20 CPs, Integral halves it to 10 CPs).

Jeff
Administrator
on: March 27, 2017, 11:50

Brian wrote: "My opinion is that you would not give them the Not Gear modifier but would instead make them Integral, which is how Vehicles handle Abilities that cannot be attacked or damaged"

Correct!

-Jeff

wistling
High-Powered Superhero
on: March 27, 2017, 12:40

Thanks Jeff. Is Tunneling just treated as a kind of Speed?

Also thanks, BK. I'll update those.

I hope I did the Hangar subvehicle upgrades correctly. The one-car garage example is clear, but not clear is whether the half-size and snug-fit upgrades add to the subvehicle cost, or if I add to the cost of the main vehicle. Not sure if I did it right in the example.

Jeff
Administrator
on: April 16, 2017, 23:54

There isn't a 'Tunneling' ability. You could simulate it by putting limitations on Non-Corporealness, or possibly by adding Autofire to a relatively low-damage Disintegration attack, if you want the character to leave a hole where they've passed.

-Jeff

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.112 seconds.