Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: New powers being added in 3.0
DSumner
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: New powers being added in 3.0
on: April 22, 2013, 21:15

Quote from Jeff on April 22, 2013, 21:01
Yes, Ice Powers gets the same treatment. All of the powers that have multiple distinct functions in 2.1 will allow you to mix & match in 3.0.

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff, that's good to know. I'm looking forward to being able to take 3.0 for a test run.

DSumner
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 14, 2014, 15:43

And here are a few more that Jeff's added:

New:

Arsenal (used to build utility belts, spell memorization, etc)
Duplication (split into multiple copies of yourself)
Durability (extra Hit Points)
Energy (extra Power points)
Healing (heals others)
Reflection
Siphon
Summoning
Wealth

Reworked/Renamed:

Shape-Shifting (was Transformation/Disguise)
Shaping (was 'solid' illusions)

greycrusad-
er
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 14, 2014, 22:35

Will the Wealth power/ability have tangible detailed game effects, or more of an open-ended "whenever GM deems useful" benefit? I could see Wealth being used by characters to justify weapons, gadgets, and vehicles without needing to invent them, for example, or to justify an extra training bonus per level, by hiring expert mentors to instruct the character.

Jeff
Administrator
on: June 15, 2014, 13:23

At a minimum, Wealth will function as it does in Living Legends. Instead of tracking how many dollars your character has (which never felt quite right for a superhero RPG, IMO), major purchases have a difficulty/target number. You make a Wealth roll, and if you roll high enough you can afford that thing at that moment. With cheap enough things (relative to your Wealth roll) not requiring a roll.

Wealth will probably also be involved in some sort of inventing system, which pretty much has to work differently than it did in previous editions of V&V. but we're still working on its new incarnation.

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 16, 2014, 00:58

I like the idea of a Wealth stat, and agree that tracking money never seemed to really fit well with this genre. Since the 80s, we'd usually just put a dash in that slot on the character sheet. Money came up only occasionally, but as more of a plot element or the fun players got who rolled Inheritor (which has come up surprisingly often for us).

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

greycrusad-
er
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 16, 2014, 15:06

The tricky part about tying Wealth to inventing and/or equipment in a four-color comic book setting is how inconsistently the two are shown to go together. Reed Richards can invent just about anything, including tech which verges on magic, even though his wealth doesn't approach that of Tony Stark or Lex Luthor; Peter Parker can somehow fund his web-shooter formula, spider-tracers, and some crime-fighting gear on a grad student/freelance photographer's salary. Then again, great wealth clearly lets Tony Stark build multiple suits of armor, vehicles, and incredibly equipped labs, with Batman not far behind (though he usually outright buys or copies truly super-tech, sticking to making cutting-edge modern tech himself). So the relationship is pretty inconsistent.

Justice
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 21, 2014, 22:03

Maybe it should be handled like Cosmic Awareness, using CL to boost the percentage.

In the old rules, I'd use CHA, and that would make Spidey constantly on edge, seeing as he had Prejudice as a weakness. Too much CHA, and everyone hates him - so he keeps it low - and as an unfortunate side-effect he stays poor.

Wealth is, IMHO, based not so much on just what you can create that is wanted, but marketing that creation to interested people - i.e. the social aspect of it.

Stark can market, based on Dad's name and US's need of weapons.

Reed, only amongst his scientific community.

Parker? He's got nobody to work with of any repute. When he tries, he fails miserably. Remember the fiasco of the Spider-mobile?

Also...

It seems to me to be a "tappable" asset. You can draw a big mug of it at times, but it is best to do it wisely. By using it, you are getting aid and support from others - you are purchasing, not piling up; using, not making; consuming, not creating [at least temporarily].

So the "cost" of using Wealth to solve problems and "save the day" may be a limitation of use to once a day and an experience penalty for overuse. [You learned nothing. You simply bought your way out of a problem.]

That seems to be the way it works in comics, once we get past any trappings of wealthiness [beautiful car, beautiful home, Country Club membership, private jet, etc.]

Justice
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 21, 2014, 22:08

Oh, and one egregious use a day seems fair: we have to be reminded that these ARE the "Top Tier" people.

Batman himself HAS used his wealth to bribe or solve a problem - but once an adventure or less, AFAICT.

DSumner
Cosmic Superhero
on: September 18, 2014, 01:31

I forgot to add these. Willpower will now have the following options:

Self-Control: allows the character to 'push' for more points than usual
Fortitude: allows the character to 'roll with' more damage
Pain Resistance: increases the character's knockout threshold
Total Pain Resistance: makes the character immune to KO

DSumner
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 5, 2015, 09:38

Companion - I'm going to hazard a guess that this is a combination of the Pet and the Sidekick power from 1st edition.

Pages: 1 [2]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.183 seconds.