Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 29 30 31 [32] 33
Author Topic: Guardians Issue Summaries
BobLoftin
Superhero
Post Re: Guardians Issue Summaries
on: June 19, 2018, 13:29

Is this kind of thing common at cons? I just went to my first one in about 30 years, or maybe 40. I was extremely prepared for the GURPS Cyberpunk game I ran. I wanted to give the players a good impression of the system, and I wanted them to look for me as a GM next year. Everyone seemed pretty pleased with the game.

Quote from Majestic on March 29, 2018, 12:12
By the last day of Gary Con (Sunday), everybody is pretty wiped out and exhausted. This last game wasn't that great, as the GM was entirely winging things. It was pretty obvious to all of us as we noted that he never wrote anything down, looked at notes, or consulted any rules. We hustled to get to the event at 9 in the morning, but then spent more than 1-1/2 hours as two players created characters. Then we played the adventure, which was the GM improvising the whole time. He seemed like a really nice guy and was extremely entertaining (would be a great guy to grab a beer with), but he also was distracted super easily, and got off on tangents without much effort.

Eventually in that first encounter, I figured out that we were dealing with an illusion (another player should have had a chance to learn this when he Siphoned Power from it).

In the end, the GM apologized that he didn't know the game system better, and said he hoped to learn more about it before he runs it at Gamehole Con.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 19, 2018, 15:00

The part about people being generally wiped out by the last day is fairly common. I/we have had our own little 'mini-Con' (called GuardianCon), for which next week will be the 16th year. We go pretty solid from Thursday through all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Gary Con now goes full days for all four of those days as well. Most people are pretty wiped out by the end. We've learned that it's best to do light-hearted, fun adventures, as it's easy for frayed nerves and lack of sleep to make people otherwise more cranky or grumpy than usual.

As far as GMs not being very good, in my experience it's been pretty rare. Unfortunately, me and my group each had a number of them at this year's Gary Con. One GM ran MA Barker's amazing world of Tekumel, and all it ended up being a slog through hordes of skeletons. Another friend played in a Traveller game by the guy who created it, and it was a nightmare. He decided that the normal rules didn't apply (and changed them as he went), and the entire session was an exploration of a derelict spaceship with nothing on it. So no action. No adventure. No drama. A few of us also played in a homebrew game where the only fun ended up being when a player purposefully tanked the game (but only after hours of it being clear the GM had nothing planned other than PVP action between the players).

Those are all still the exceptions rather than the rule, even though we had far more of them than usual this year at Gary Con.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: June 25, 2018, 20:33

Majestic--I was the one that asked for the published vs homebrew identification, and thank you so much for taking the time to do this. If you ever need a character sketch, I'd be happy to do one as a thank you.

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: June 25, 2018, 20:35

removed because of double post

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 1, 2018, 00:40

Thanks, Hireling! I appreciate that, but I think I'm good with things for now. That is most kind of you, and I'm always glad to help out a fellow V&V fan!

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 5, 2018, 12:47

Last week was our 16th annual GuardianCon, so named after the long-running Guardians group in the campaign. I didn't even realize until a year or two ago (when somebody else pointed it out) that we've had at least one event from the campaign each year of the Con (sometimes that event was not even run by me!). So, to keep the streak alive, I ran another event from the campaign. Here's the recap:

#5 – Blitzkrieg of Biters – Brakus, Tyr, and Sentinel Rejuvenator look out upon a field of Nazi zombies tearing into a large crowd of civilians. Flashback: Henry Hyde (Rejuvenator) shares a cab with his mom Rose and friend Drake Ramoray, after a charter flight to Seattle to address the superhero’s dissociative identity disorder. Ramoray identifies nearby supers activity with an app, and the cab diverts a couple of blocks to the area outside the Seattle Art Museum, where Brakus and Tyr try to contain the rampaging supervillain Karnage. After chasing his friend and mother out, Rejuvenator uses the cab as a brawling weapon against the hawk-man while cabbie Sigmund Miller watches helplessly. Eventually the trio works together to defeat the powerful creature, minimizing the loss of life. F.I.S.H. arrives and alerts them to an emergent situation in Flint, Michigan, where monsters are attacking citizens at a park, who had gathered for a rally about their tainted drinking water. The three heroes step through a gateway and engage fifteen zombies and their creator, Nazi Face. The battle is long and hard, and at one point only Brakus stands against the enemy, but eventually Tyr chases Nazi Face away and the group takes down the horde.

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: July 5, 2018, 13:51

Sounds like a fantastic session! I love the highlights.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 17, 2018, 16:16

I had just two players on Friday (multiple others were out of town), so I finished off the final part I hadn't done from "Always Outnumbered".

For this game I used 2.1, rather than 3.0, since none of the characters involved had been converted yet, and it was just easier.

#48 – True Believer – On the same night as a mass shooting in an Orlando nightclub, new hero Pioneer downs an entity called Lightning-Lych at Clockwork Orange, another club across town. Psypher returns home, and is suspicious when Perihelion shows her the news clip of the incident. As they drive downtown, they witness Pioneer flying above them as a man hops off a motorcycle, grows larger, and bashes in the front door of Another Era Stamps & Coins. Pioneer flies down and explains that he sensed the attack, but the experienced pair clears customers from the shop as Halley guards the entrance and Psypher’s pegasus Princess keeps watch overhead. After a brief fight, Psypher and Perihelion convince Scrimmage to surrender, but Psypher remains skeptical of their ally. Lightning-Lych reappears and begins to fight with all three adventurers, but Psypher suspects Pioneer of being behind it. Photojournalist R.M. Ingram snaps pictures by the front door, so Princess scoops him up and flies him high into the sky! Ingram (secretly the supervillain Haste) uses his mental powers on Princess, which causes the winged horse to fly chaotically, terrifying her passenger. Scrimmage spills that he was working with Pioneer, and after the energy creature is destroyed Psypher confronts their associate. When Scrimmage reveals that Pioneer has criminals at his hideout, the “hero” rationalizes them as his captives. The two explain that he needs to go into custody until the situation can be straightened out, but he flees, only to be swiftly caught. Princess brings Ingram down, and Perihelion recognizes her compulsive behavior as being what he felt years earlier, after his first incident with the press. When he challenges Haste, the exposed villain races away. F.I.S.H. arrives, along with Commissioner Rollands, who gives them authority to enter Pioneer’s residence. Across town, they enter the Homestead Hostel (a converted firehouse), and Psypher heads upstairs as Perihelion hacks into computers below. Conscience (wearing no costume) takes control of Psypher’s mind, then sends her back down to the garage to take out Perihelion. She shoots her old partner, but he is able to quickly snap her out of it. The pair head to the upper level, where Conscience and Magnanimous give up without a fight. They learn that Pioneer had been working with criminals, serving as a lookout and telepathic aide and providing a haven for them in the area.

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: July 21, 2018, 14:10

I love these updates! Keep 'em coming.

greycrusad-
er
Cosmic Superhero
on: September 3, 2018, 13:00

Agree! Always love hearing more about one of THE longest running campaigns in V&V history!

Pages: First << 29 30 31 [32] 33
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 1.587 seconds.