Summoning  

RSS

TXDefender523
(@txdefender523)
28/06/2019 4:44 pm  

I want to use Summoning on a character much like Tarzan or Aquaman would use it to summon a number of animals. The way it's written in the book, I couldn't do that unless maybe using the "Multitudes" Modifier on it. But that would be expensive CP-wise, wouldn't it? There has to be a way to Summon a group or swarm of animals and calculate how that would work in the game to enhance Combat. 

Ideas..?

Hireling
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
30/06/2019 9:40 am  

The first hurdle in summoning animals is there are no stats for them in the rules. We don't even have basic ones to go off of. The second is there are no rules for how swarms or groups of animals work. You really have your work cut out for you.

As for Multitudes being expensive, I would personally consider Summoning a Primary Non-Combat Ability per the Multitudes rule, meaning you only need to spend 5 CPs per 2 instances of Multitudes. So for a Standard Level character (150 CPs) you could spend up to 20 on Summoning and then as much on Multitudes as you want. 20 CPs invested into Multitudes would give you 8 Summons. Not exactly a swarm, but not bad.

As for how Swarms work, perhaps it could be as simple as all of the creatures in a swarm/herd/band share one Initiative roll. Maybe you could make up some other rules like "outnumbered: when a swarm attacks together the target gets -1 Physical Defense for each member of the swarm." or something like that. There's a lot of room to get creative here, but be sure to work with your GM to make sure it's balanced. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Hireling
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
30/06/2019 12:30 pm  

Some other ideas for swarms, packs, and herds:

Shared HP pool: A swarm, pack, or herd that is knocked out or killed would more likely be dispersed. HP is a simple way to reflect that.

Shared Power pool: Same as above--having shared Power could reflect their stamina or will to continue pursuit and attack/defend themselves.

Single attack roll (no bonuses except the Outnumbered one I posted above).

Single damage roll (this speeds up combat and you could add +1 for each member of the swarm, pack, or herd up to a maximum of +6 or whatever feels fair--obeying the damage cap, of course)

Single Save: just what it says.

Pushing: Swarms, packs, and herds may not Push.

Profile Modifier: A swarm might occupy a 1" square so its profile would be 1. A pack might be 2, while a herd might be 5. This would make it easier to hit with ranged attacks.

These are just suggestions to get your imagination going--do whatever you want, or feel free to use these ideas. Have fun!

ReplyQuote
galderon
(@galderon)
02/07/2019 9:28 am  

Another idea would be to look at the Duration modifier for an attack. Take a ranged kinetic attack, add 5 points of Duration, and you could flavor it as a swarm of birds or insects harassing an opponent for three rounds.

ReplyQuote
Majestic
(@majestic)
Trusted Member
03/07/2019 4:01 pm  

5e D&D has rules for Swarms, and does similar to what you folks have done, making them act like a single creature, more or less.  I'd certainly pattern a Swarm or Herd after them, to some degree.

V&V GM and player since 1982, my current campaign is 29 years old

ReplyQuote
Share: