Power Blast + Abili...

Power Blast + Ability Field  

RSS

Estaln
(@estaln)
12/09/2019 1:14 am  

Hola!

Adding the Ability Field option to Power Blast as per page 84/85 says you double the base cost. So if I drop 15CP into power blast I drop another 15CP into the ability field (and both do the same 2d8 damage). BUT for doing this I don't then also pay the penalty 15CP cost for the Contact Attack feature of the ability field as per pg 89 (assumed that is part of the double base cost), is that correct?

Am I right that the ability field can only ever have a range of 0" or does it start at the same range as the Power Blast (ie (EN+ST )/2? Otherwise reducing the range (ST+EN)/2 by 4 steps to 0" gives an adjustment of -10CP.

Further, if you buy Armour Piercing on the Power Blast is it also effective on the ability field? or would you have to buy that twice to cover both?

Ability field also says in the errata

Ability Fields also work like armor protection (except with a random roll) vs. both similar and opposite damage forms. For example, a Heat Energy field works against heat, flame, cold, ice, etc.

but the core rules say

If hit by a ranged attack that involves a physical projectile, roll the damage for your Ability Field and subtract it from the damage inflicted by the attack.

I assume the ALSO means that both apply, in that the field protects you from physical projectiles (arrows, bullets etc) as well as the energy type of the power blast (and any opposite energy type)

bkadams
(@bkadams)
Trusted Member
13/09/2019 1:24 pm  

The way I've always interpreted Ability Field is that modifies the base ability into becoming a new ability -- the ability field. So, if taken with Power Blast it is now a Power Blast Ability Field, not a Power Blast with an option to become an ability field.

As it says in the rules it "acts as both a Contact Attack on the character's regular HTH attack (see the Contact Attack Ability Modifier, below), and a form of protection".

Any other modifiers are applied as normal. So if you add Armor Piercing you get points of armor piercing with the ability field.

Example: 

Power Blast: 2d6 Energy damage (10), Ability Field (+10), Armor Piercing +3 (+5). Total cost = 25 CPs. The power blast ability field takes an Action to activate and PR=1 per use, whether for attacking or defending. Furthermore, because the power blast is now an ability field, it now has a touch range.

Hope that helps!

ReplyQuote
Estaln
(@estaln)
15/09/2019 12:59 am  

Apologies @BKAdams, that's still not making sense to me.

Double the base CP cost of an attack Ability to enable it to be used as an Ability Field. It takes an action to activate an Ability Field, and the Ability’s PR cost must be paid each time it’s used. The character may still use the Ability at range, if he base Ability has range, unless you buy its range off using the Range Ability Modifier

That indicates that you get both ranged and ability field?

So if that is the case (with the option to buy the range down to 0 if desired) what I am asking about is effects like armour piercing and PR cost is if they have to be bought separately for the ranged attack and the ability field or if they cover both options.

Flame Power states they are an extra ability (A:Flame Blast and B:Flame Aura) maybe the ability field modifier needs to state (under a new errata) that it counts as a new sub-ability that can only ever be range 0. That way any AP or PR adjustments are done separately on both sub-abilities.

ReplyQuote
bkadams
(@bkadams)
Trusted Member
15/09/2019 11:40 am  

You're right about being able to use it at range, I somehow missed that bit all these years!

I think Jeff is going to have to answer your question as I don't know the answer. :/

ReplyQuote
Jeff Dee
(@jeff)
Member Admin
18/09/2019 10:28 am  
Posted by: @estaln

Adding the Ability Field option to Power Blast as per page 84/85 says you double the base cost. So if I drop 15CP into power blast I drop another 15CP into the ability field (and both do the same 2d8 damage).

If you apply the Ability Field modifier to a (15) CP Power Blast, its base cost is now (30) CPs.

BUT for doing this I don't then also pay the penalty 15CP cost for the Contact Attack feature of the ability field as per pg 89 (assumed that is part of the double base cost), is that correct?

Correct.

Am I right that the ability field can only ever have a range of 0" or does it start at the same range as the Power Blast (ie (EN+ST )/2? Otherwise reducing the range (ST+EN)/2 by 4 steps to 0" gives an adjustment of -10CP.

An Ability field has no range, regardless of whatever range the attack Ability its added to may have had. An ability Field coats the character's body in that attack Ability. Like the Human Torch's flame aura. DO NOT give the character a CP cost savings for that, because they can still 'shoot' with their attack Ability as well.

Further, if you buy Armour Piercing on the Power Blast is it also effective on the ability field? or would you have to buy that twice to cover both?

Armor Piercing applies to any kind of protection ability that gets in the attack's way, including Ability Fields.

Ability field also says in the errata

Ability Fields also work like armor protection (except with a random roll) vs. both similar and opposite damage forms. For example, a Heat Energy field works against heat, flame, cold, ice, etc.

but the core rules say

If hit by a ranged attack that involves a physical projectile, roll the damage for your Ability Field and subtract it from the damage inflicted by the attack.

I assume the ALSO means that both apply, in that the field protects you from physical projectiles (arrows, bullets etc) as well as the energy type of the power blast (and any opposite energy type)

bility field also says in the errata

but the core rules say

I assume the ALSO means that both apply, in that the field protects you from physical projectiles (arrows, bullets etc) as well as the energy type of the power blast (and any opposite energy type

Both apply, but they don't 'stack'. If you have a Flame Blast ability field, and someone with another Flame Blast or an Ice Blast hits you, you get to apply your ability field against it because it's a 'similar and opposite damage form'. Or if someone hits you with physical bullets, you get to apply your ability field against that because you're 'melting the bullets'. But if someone shot you with 'physical flame bullets' (whatever *that* would be), you wouldn't get to apply it twice.

Hope that helps!

-Jeff

ReplyQuote
Estaln
(@estaln)
18/09/2019 3:01 pm  
Posted by: @jeff

Armor Piercing applies to any kind of protection ability that gets in the attack's way, including Ability Fields.

Thanks for the replies Jeff, but I think I wasn't clear in my question.

If a character has Power Blast, with an added ability field, and then they add the armour piercing modifier to it do THEY get to use the AP ability on BOTH the ranged power blast attack AND the contact power blast field attack (say if used as an attack to contact off a HTH punch) ... or does the character have to buy AP separately for the ranged and ability field?

ReplyQuote
Estaln
(@estaln)
18/09/2019 3:13 pm  

Sorry to bleat on ...

Assume PR cost will have the  same answer as AP above. If a character spends +2.5CP to reduce Power Blast from PR1 per shot/use to PR0 does that apply to one of the ranged blast/ability field or both?

Which is basically asking if the ability field acts like a separate SUB-ability (like Flame Blast and Flame Aura) or if it still counts as the same Power Blast ability. This is relevant as sub-abilities get to have a separate ability CAP.

ReplyQuote
Share: