Modifiers Reducing ...

Modifiers Reducing CP Costs  

RSS

Majestic
(@majestic)
Trusted Member
13/07/2019 1:00 am  

So I just helped my friend take one of his powerful 8th level 2.1 characters and turn her into a MP character.  We were able to buy down a number of her Abilities with Modifiers like:

Requires Concentration to Maintain (-7.5)

or Requires Total Concentration (-10)

and Wealth Roll of 5+ Required to Recharge (-15) [the character is an android constructed of difficult to find, high-tech parts]

We ended up buying a number of Abilities down to nothing (so 1 CP cost total).

Now my friend has pondered this and wondered about reducing the costs of his most expensive Abilities.  He spent 20 CP for Invulnerability to Kinetic damage, another 20 CP to be Invulnerable to Energy, and another 5 to be Invulnerable to Mental Control.

He is wondering about converting the 0 Power required of Invulnerability to Charges, then buying it down (to even 12 charges) and making the cost to repair it to the same as above (Wealth Roll of 5+ Required to Recharge).

Where I was okay with the Wealth Roll for the rocket fuel needed for the Flight on his Vehicle (for example), I'm a bit more skeptical that this is much of a penalty for Invulnerability.  The PR of 0 for Invulnerability is what it costs for a Round, so if you bought that down to even 6 Rounds would give a character a TON of Invulnerability (more than most fights last), and they just reduced the cost immensely.

And while the Wealth Roll could sting the character if she got damaged somewhere far from home (where she couldn't repair), I imagine in most terrestrial campaigns, her significant Wealth will make this not much of a factor, either.

So my questions are:

How fair do you think it is to use the Wealth Roll Required (found under 'Components' under the 'Charges' Modifier) applied to other Abilities?

And is it really fair to convert Invulnerability to Charges and buy its CP cost way down like that?

V&V GM and player since 1982, my current campaign is 29 years old

Hireling
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
13/07/2019 7:46 am  

Ultimately, it’s up to you. Personally, I think these discounts are abusive. Making an effect last six rounds is hardly a drawback, considering how short most fights are. 

ReplyQuote
Majestic
(@majestic)
Trusted Member
13/07/2019 3:26 pm  

Yeah, that's where me and my son are leaning right now. 

We've talked about making a rule that most 'Major Abilities' (primary offensive and defensive powers) require a minimum investment of 10 CPs. This wouldn't affect utility powers or Overloaded (i.e., one-shot) ones. Even then, to me Invulnerability against all Kinetic (which is the vast majority of mundane attacks) seems an awful good bargain for half price (10 CPs).

Because of course all villains could be built using these same guidelines.

ReplyQuote
Majestic
(@majestic)
Trusted Member
15/07/2019 3:47 pm  

Upon further reflection, I'm not even good with 10 CP for some.  Getting Invulnerability to all Kinetic damage for half price seems way too good to me.

ReplyQuote
Hireling
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
17/07/2019 6:24 pm  

I agree. This is too low for Invulnerability.

ReplyQuote
Share: