Heightened Senses: ...

Heightened Senses: Danger Sense  

RSS

Hireling
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
30/06/2019 1:08 pm  

When creating a Danger Sense, what is necessary to make it work, and how does it work? From a thorough reading of the Ability it seems like you would need at a minimum to buy Basic level (+5 CPs) and Ranged (+5 CPs) as the Danger sense says: Danger sense detects negative fluctuations in the karma field (whatever the karma field is). Bad karma may be considered to 'radiate' for purposes of the Ranged Sense Modifier. So we have karma, which isn't described mechanically, but we do have a good description of how making a sense Ranged works. My first question: is Danger sense useful without the Global modifier? Let's take a look at it: "Global - Senses normally only cover a 90-degree arc, facing directly ahead of the character." Ok, stop. So now we have at a minimum a 10 CP investment in a Sense that is supposed to warn my character of Danger but it by default only warns him of it if it's right in front of him. This defeats the purpose of purchasing it. Now we're up to a 20 CP investment (Basic +5, Ranged +5, and Global +10) so that Danger sense can work as we all understand it to from comic books. I wouldn't have a problem with any of this if I understood exactly how Danger sense/Bad Karma sense worked. So on to my next question--what does this allow my character to do?

If I had to guess, I'd say it allows him to make a Perception Check any time an attacker would have otherwise caught him unaware (see 4.7.2 Surprised & Immobile Targets). Let me know if I have this right, and if not, fill me in. I'm keen to use this Ability, but am unsure of the benefits, or how it is practically applied.

Majestic
(@majestic)
Trusted Member
03/07/2019 3:53 pm  

Good call, Hireling.  When I converted Cicada to MP, this is the Ability I gave him.  It was somewhat offset by his Diminished Senses, and the fact that your character moved away from him (and was Invisible), was why I didn't even give him a chance to detect you.  I also didn't think to give him Global, but should have.

V&V GM and player since 1982, my current campaign is 29 years old

ReplyQuote
Hireling
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
05/07/2019 8:38 am  

I was wondering what kind of sensory perception was at work--makes sense now. 🙂

I personally feel that certain senses like Danger should have Global baked in due to the relative uselessness of it without Global--but that's up to each individual GM.

ReplyQuote
Jeff Dee
(@jeff)
Member Admin
14/07/2019 8:00 pm  
Posted by: @hireling

If I had to guess, I'd say it allows him to make a Perception Check any time an attacker would have otherwise caught him unaware (see 4.7.2 Surprised & Immobile Targets).

Yes, that. Except 'Danger' means *all* sources of danger, not just 'attackers'. We apologize for the vague 'karmic field' gobblety-gook, but we had to write *something* since all of the other sense have descriptions 🙂

-Jeff

ReplyQuote
Share: