Notifications
Clear all

Duplicate Communicators  

RSS

Majestic
(@majestic)
Estimable Member
24/10/2019 4:28 pm  

In order for one of the superhero teams (we have 4-5 active teams in my campaign right now!) to have handy communicators to share with each other, one of the members invented Communicators.  That costs 8 CP for just a pair.  It seems awfully spendy for her to have to spend that same amount x4 (32 CP!) just to have bare-bones Communicators for eight members.

V&V GM and player since 1982, my current campaign is 29 years old

Grackleflint
(@hireling)
Estimable Member
24/10/2019 5:56 pm  

@majestic

Use the Multitudes modifier.

"Multitudes of primarily non-combat Abilities cost (+5) per x2."

So for +5 CP you could have 2 pair (4 Communicators), 4 pair for +10 CP (8 Communicators). 18 CPs for 8 Communicators seems pretty great!

This post was modified 11 months ago 2 times by Grackleflint

ReplyQuote
Majestic
(@majestic)
Estimable Member
25/10/2019 2:18 pm  

Thanks, Hireling!  I thought there was something about that!

I'm even going to halve the cost again, considering them 'backups' that can't be used simultaneously (i.e., they're like radios or walkie-talkies that only one person can transmit at a time).  Unless I can find another appropriate Modifier to bring the cost down some more.

That would bring it down to 13 CP, which is a little more doable.  Still a steep price to pay, using up 87% of the character's prodigious amount of Inventing Points (she has an IN of 30!)

Actually, Activation Required totally makes sense, as it would make them Voluntary (and shut down when the character is KO'd). As would Concentration to Maintain.

Now I've built enough modifiers that I don't even have to make them 'backups' (i.e., I'm paying the full price, not halving it).

So now the total for 8 of them is 0 CP, which of course costs 1 CP.  Much more appropriate! (remember that these have absolutely no bells and whistles and a pretty short range).

ReplyQuote
galderon
(@galderon)
25/10/2019 2:47 pm  

If they're meant to be permanent, and if you want to eventually free up the points for the inventor, you could slowly transition the communicators into a team power. Have everybody contribute to the team fund for a bit, and once the team can afford them, move them from the inventor to the team. The next time she wants to invent something for the team, just repeat the process!

ReplyQuote
Grackleflint
(@hireling)
Estimable Member
25/10/2019 3:40 pm  

@majestic

Way to get the cost down!

ReplyQuote
Majestic
(@majestic)
Estimable Member
25/10/2019 9:05 pm  

Thanks, galderon. I was totally going to do that, too.  It's something we've done with another team in the campaign (one Hireling is a part of), but this team hasn't really done it yet.  You're absolutely right, though, that's a great way to have everyone pitch in for them!

ReplyQuote
Share: