Cybernetics  

RSS

Majestic
(@majestic)
Estimable Member
24/12/2019 1:03 pm  

Often when you buy an Ability that is a 'package', you get more bang for your buck.  Size Change, Larger, for example, gives you extra CPs worth of ST and EN, but of course there's the tradeoff that the character's Profile is increased, and they are easier to hit.

I'm trying to figure out why one would use the Cybernetics Ability, rather than just purchasing the Abilities separately (for much cheaper)?

Let's take a Standard (150 CP) character, like in the example.  Normally an Ability is 20 CPs.  Cybernetics, however, breaks down into two Abilities, each of which is 10 CPs with a built-in -5 CP Gear modifier.

So for your 20 CPs, you're getting two 5 CP Abilities (10-5) in exchange.

Seems like an inefficient purchase, unless I'm missing something?

V&V GM and player since 1982, my current campaign is 29 years old

Grackleflint
(@hireling)
Estimable Member
25/12/2019 12:14 am  

If you’re holding a player to the six starting Abilities and not allowing them to choose additional ones this is essentially a two-for-one. The -5 discount for each ability being  Gear seems a tad lazy as it’s more akin to Body Part, but even that is simplifying things a bit too much. What if a character’s heart is bionic, or their nervous system? It’s not targetable by normal means. What would you do to make this feel more like Cybernetics?

ReplyQuote
Majestic
(@majestic)
Estimable Member
26/12/2019 2:51 pm  

Even if you're holding players to just the starting six, they quickly earn CP and can purchase new Abilities (and that's not even counting Inventions).

I was thinking the same thing, as far as how target-able some Cybernetics things are.  They become nearly impossible to target, which almost makes it seem like the Gear modifier isn't very fair.

But since this seems unbalanced the other way, perhaps having that Gear modifier on there is alright.

ReplyQuote
Estaln
(@estaln)
26/12/2019 6:06 pm  
Posted by: @majestic

So for your 20 CPs, you're getting two 5 CP Abilities (10-5) in exchange.

Seems like an inefficient purchase, unless I'm missing something?

I thought the -5CP gear modifier made it cheaper, so 15CP of ability with the -5 made it 10CP, Which makes cybernetics a nett gain ?

This post was modified 3 months ago by Estaln

ReplyQuote
Grackleflint
(@hireling)
Estimable Member
28/12/2019 5:25 pm  

@majestic

I think I see what you're saying. It's not that you spend 20 CPs and get two 5 CP abilities, you get two Abilities for 10 CPs (Each one costs 10 then gets a refund of 5 CPs for being Gear). (10-5) + (10-5) = 10. I think Cybernetics would be better if it were handled like Animal Abilities. Have a random chart of body parts and roll (or choose) which ones get replaced with Cybernetics and what kinds of Abilities are fair game. Here's a very rough idea of what could be done with it.

Roll a d12 twice, re-rolling any duplicates.

1. Eyes (or brain) - Any Offensive Ability or Heightened Senses or Protected Brain
  2. Left Arm - Any Offensive or Defensive Ability or Heightened Strength
  3. Right Arm - Any Offensive or Defensive Ability or Heightened Strength
  4. Torso (or heart, or lungs) - Any Defensive of Miscellaneous Ability or Heightened Endurance
  5. Left Leg - Any Defensive or Miscellaneous Ability or Speed
  6. Right Leg - Any Defensive or Miscellaneous Ability or Speed
  7. Nervous System - Any Defensive Ability or Super Speed or Heightened Agility
  8. Circulatory System - Any Defensive Ability or Heightened Endurance or Adaptation
  9. Epidermis - Any Offensive or Defensive Ability or Armor or Invulnerability
  10. Skeleton - Any Defensive Ability or Invulnerability or Density Increase
  11. Digestive System - Any Miscellaneous Ability or Super Stomach
  12. Immune System - Any Defensive Ability or Adaptation or Regeneration

ReplyQuote
Majestic
(@majestic)
Estimable Member
31/12/2019 5:33 pm  

So are you guys saying that you would get 15 CPs of an ability, with the Gear modifier?

In other words, do I go to 15 CPs on a particular Ability's chart, then factor in the -5 for Gear? Or 10 CP?

The way it is written in the rules, it seems to say you get 10 CPs, then get a 5 point deduction for being Gear.

Let's use Force Bolt (p. 39) and say I took one for each arm (so I get it twice) with my 20 CPs of Cybernetics.  What damage does my Force Bolt do from each arm?

Base HTH damage +2?

or

Base HTH damage +4?

Agree with you, Grackleflint, that it would be much cleaner if it was like you posted.

ReplyQuote
Jeff Dee
(@jeff)
Member Admin
01/01/2020 6:00 pm  

Sorry for the confusion, guys.

A Low Powered Character gets:
* First Ability, base cost (10) and Gear modifier for (-5), total cost (5) CPs.
* Second Ability, base cost (10) and Gear modifier for (-5), total cost (5) CPs.
Total Cost for both Abilities gained through the Cybernetics Ability: (10) CPs

A Standard Powered Character gets:
* First Ability, base cost (15) and Gear modifier for (-5), total cost (10) CPs.
* Second Ability, base cost (15) and Gear modifier for (-5), total cost (10) CPs.
Total Cost for both Abilities gained through the Cybernetics Ability: (20) CPs

A High Powered Character gets:
* First Ability, base cost (20) and Gear modifier for (-5), total cost (15) CPs.
* Second Ability, base cost (20) and Gear modifier for (-5), total cost (15) CPs.
Total Cost for both Abilities gained through the Cybernetics Ability: (30) CPs

Hopefully that clears everything up. I've added this to the Errata page.
-Jeff

This post was modified 3 months ago by Jeff Dee

Estaln liked
ReplyQuote
Majestic
(@majestic)
Estimable Member
03/01/2020 11:07 am  

Thanks for the clarification, Jeff!

ReplyQuote
Share: