Clarification Neede...

Clarification Needed: Reversible  

RSS

Grackleflint
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
12/10/2019 1:08 am  

On page 94 there is an Ability Modifier called Reversible. It allows an Ability to "produce the opposite effect." The example it gives is an Electrical Bolt that can inflict or heal Electrical Energy damage. My question is how do we know exactly what Full Type, Sub Type, and Specific Type of damage an Ability is inflicting? Power Blast seems to be generic Energy Damage, which makes it a great candidate for Reversible. Fire Blast could be High Temperature (a Sub Type) or FlameĀ or Heat (both Specific Types). There's just no way to know for sure unless Abilities are clarified within their descriptive text. I think this is a fantastic Ability Modifier for anyone wanting to play Support, but it's hard to know which Abilities are doing what.

bkadams
(@bkadams)
Trusted Member
12/10/2019 9:12 am  

A few years ago I created a chart of MP damage types with specific offensive abilities listed. This is not official but you may find it helpful.

https://mpwriteups.blogspot.com/2017/09/mp-damage-types.html

ReplyQuote
Jeff Dee
(@jeff)
Member Admin
12/10/2019 10:41 am  
Posted by: @hireling

My question is how do we know exactly what Full Type, Sub Type, and Specific Type of damage an Ability is inflicting?

Every attack ability deals a specific type of damage. The player or GM making the character, or the GM running the adventure if it's a pre-generated character and it isn't specified on the sheet, is responsible for saying what the specific type of damage is. As a result, a 'reversed Power Blast' won't heal just any old sub-type of energy damage. If it's a heat energy power blast, it'll heal heat energy damage. And so on.

-Jeff

This post was modified 1 month ago 3 times by Jeff Dee

ReplyQuote
Grackleflint
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
13/10/2019 11:24 am  

@bkadams

@jeff

Thanks to both of you!

ReplyQuote
Grackleflint
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
23/10/2019 11:30 am  

@jeff

Was just referring back to this thread and wanted to revisit this statement.

Posted by: @jeff

As a result, a 'reversed Power Blast' won't heal just any old sub-type of energy damage. If it's a heat energy power blast, it'll heal heat energy damage. And so on.

In the description of Power Blast it very much implies that it is a generic Energy damage attack. Nowhere does it state that the player has to choose a Sub-Type or Specific Type. This isn't a case of "the rules don't say I can't so I can" but more of a case of the description being specific one way and not another. "The character can project powerful bolts of force. This is a standard Energy damage attack..." That is all we get. Power doesn't imply a Sub-Type or Specific Type the way that Flame Blast, Ice Blast, Electrical Bolt, and Sonic Bolt do. I understand much of this is up to the discretion of the GM, but that's not always a satisfying answer when looking to the rules for help in decision making.

ReplyQuote
Share: