Chemical Abilities ...

Chemical Abilities - Possible Error  

RSS

Hireling
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
26/08/2019 8:26 pm  

The biochemical damage of Chemical Blast quickly outpaces Chemical Body when you apply the Ability Field modifier to it. "Ability Field states: Double the base CP cost of an attack Ability to enable it to be used as an Ability Field."

Chemical Blast (an Attack Ability) at 2.5 CPs deals d6+d8. You can turn it into an Ability field by doubling the cost to 5.

5 CPs in Chemical Body (an Ability Field) only deals d6+1 Biochemical Damage.

and so on...

Flame Blast and Electrical Bolt suffer a similar problem, but it's less pronounced as the Power Cost for Flame Blast is 2 vs Flame Aura's 1, and Electrical Bolt costs 4 vs Electrical Field's 1. However Chemical Blast and Chemical Body have the exact same Power Cost, making Chemical Body obsolete with its current damage scaling.

Hireling
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
02/09/2019 12:01 am  

To clarify, I feel like Chemical Blast should cost more. 

ReplyQuote
bkadams
(@bkadams)
Trusted Member
02/09/2019 9:06 am  

I agree that Chemical Blast is a little cheap. If you modify Power Blast to resemble Chemical Blast, it's 2.5 CPs more expensive for the same damage, same PR, and its range (ST+EN)/2 is close to ST" range.

Example:

POWER BLAST: 2d10 damage (20), (ST+EN)/2" range, Different Damage Type: Bio (+0), PR=2 (-2.5), No Knockback (-5); Total CP cost = 12.5.

A 2d10 Chemical Blast costs 10 CPs.

ReplyQuote
Hireling
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
02/09/2019 11:07 am  

@bkadams

There’s no danger of my players abusing it because they don’t see it as a hero Ability, but it’s still too cheap. Your Power Blast example reinforces that. 

ReplyQuote
Estaln
(@estaln)
16/09/2019 12:55 am  

Maybe Ability Field should only be allowed where one does not exist already.

As in Flame Aura/Chemical Body already have defined fields so are not candidates for AF whereas Power Blast does not have a defined field so can be modded with AF.

Jeff Dee liked
ReplyQuote
Hireling
(@hireling)
Trusted Member
19/09/2019 5:18 am  

@estaln

This is a simple and elegant solution. I think I’ll use this as a house rule going forward.

ReplyQuote
Share: