Notifications
Clear all

Ambidexterity  

RSS

Wildshot
(@wildshot)
29/04/2020 11:02 pm  

Ambidexterity states that a character with this ability can use other hands equally as well as  their primary hand without suffering the penalty of off hand actions (see 3.0.2.3) This section specifically says -3 on any manual TASK they perform solely using their off hand. 

Is an attack considered a task therefore giving a -3 penalty to all offhand attacks as well as task rolls?

Or no an attack is not a task but the offhand attack still gets the -3 penalty by virtue of it being considered an action ?

We are playing it with -3 to off hand attacks but some players are not so sure, so any feedback would be great.

Estaln
(@estaln)
Eminent Member
29/04/2020 11:21 pm  

And to add to this, can Ambidexterity be taken only once or multiple times (for multiple limbs)

ReplyQuote
Jeff Dee
(@jeff)
Member Admin
30/04/2020 2:57 pm  

An attack's roll to hit is  a task check, and yes, the off-hand penalty applies to that.

From the Physical Ability A) Ambidexterity entry (page 59): "This Ability costs (2.5) CPs, (+2,.5) CPs to double the number of primary hands (which can be useful for characters with Extra Limbs)."

Hope that helps!

-Jeff

ReplyQuote
Wildshot
(@wildshot)
30/04/2020 7:37 pm  

@jeff

Thanks for the clarification.

ReplyQuote
Wildshot
(@wildshot)
01/05/2020 8:31 pm  

@jeff

Just noticed something, as you said above ''An attack's roll to hit is  a task check'' If this is true, would I get a +4 to hit if I have 20 cp's in Experience Levels +2 to hit and +2 to task.  since an attacks roll to hit is a task?

ReplyQuote
Jeff Dee
(@jeff)
Member Admin
02/05/2020 2:55 am  

Heh, nice try! No, you don't get it twice 😉

-Jeff

ReplyQuote
Sequel
(@sequel)
02/05/2020 6:57 pm  

@jeff

I'm a bit confused, to Wildshots point, if  ''An attack's roll to hit is  a task check'' then why is the definition of the Experience Levels ability say "+2 to hit and +2 to task." 

Are "tasks" and "hits" considered the same thing?

I understand you don't get both bonus', but where I'm confused is on the difference, is an attack considered an action or a task? Is there an actual definition or glossary available for the terminology? 

ReplyQuote
Jeff Dee
(@jeff)
Member Admin
04/05/2020 2:51 am  

I acknowledge that it's unclear. Think of it this way: attacks are tasks, but they're a special case with all kinds of additional rules involved, and so they're often spoken about separately.

I hope that helps.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Jeff Dee

ReplyQuote
Share: